Friday, December 23, 2005

The Encounter

"I have taken thousands of photos but some have left their imprint on me and the incidents associated with them are unforgettable.

I was with the ex Prime Minister of India, Sri. Rajiv Gandhi, at SriPerumbudur when he succumbed to a suicide bomber's attack. The distance between my life and death was two minutes.

My camera strap was caught in the van and I pulled at it vigorously. But God was holding it at the other end and saved my life. Had I walked along with Sri. Rajiv Gandhi, I would have died with him.

When I heard the explosion and saw people running helter-skelter I just picked up my camera and started clicking. They were the only photos available of the incident at that time.

I was working for Junior Vikatan, a Tamil magazine at that time."

(This blog is actually written by my uncle MAAPS. Or rather i copy-pasted it from his homepage. I hope he doesnt mind but I couldnt resist. I wanted to share it with you all.

For more pictures of the incident and for loads of awesome photography tips, visit http://maapsindia.com)

9 Comments:

Blogger Rangoo said...

What a moment in life! Unforgettable. He is a true photographer who is able to capture this moment.

In the India Today Anniversary Issue, this photograph is included with M. A. Parthasarathy's name.

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! what a post man ! this deserves to be on the front page of Bloggers@Orkut!!

Also, I am tracking it back from my own blog!!

- archie

7:44 PM  
Blogger Vishnu said...

This is one of the very best posts I have come across in my life. Touching and depicts one of the best moments where gods existence itself is signified. The phrase God was holding at the other end is simply great.....

1:25 AM  
Blogger exasparater said...

nervewracking moment!!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Niranjan said...

the snap that ur uncle has taken is really a great thing he must have made his heart hard to take such a scene ..........

4:41 AM  
Blogger Santhosh said...

shd be a scary moment ah..

12:25 PM  
Blogger D said...

More than the picture, what struck me is the man's destiny. Two people at the same place at the same time, separated forever in realms of the living and the dead by a stroke of luck!

4:02 AM  
Blogger K.C said...

wuz a shocking incident tht... and happened a long time back... but the pictures i had seen then wer really scary..mebbe coz i wuz too young en.. Used to always wonder wht wud go thru da minds of ppl clicking em..

9:23 PM  
Blogger kunthanrajan said...

thst realy..bad...pic..nice blog...yar..
hi..if u dont mine link my blog yar..kunthan.blogspot.com

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home